Monday, April 28, 2008

what's in a domain name

I remember when I first bought my domain name (way back in the 1990s) how excited I was that any email directed to any address ending in @michaelgross.co.uk would find me. Not that anybody did ever email me under "Iwannashout@michaelgross.co.uk" or similar.

Now I'm having second thoughts as the domain name attracts more than 30 spams per hour (and that's only the ones that get past the Yahoo spam guard, which used to be nearly perfect a couple of years ago!). After wasting a lot of time deleting spam I've been forced to filter the @michaelgross.co.uk mail to a separate folder, where I let it accumulate so I can admire the numbers going astronomical.

oh well. another internet dream gone bust. But the good news is that my proper email address is pretty clean since I fixed that problem.

No comments: