Tuesday, March 03, 2009

world book day

Two book marks to mark World Book Day coming up on Thursday:



The day is a big thing in primary schools and in the media here, and I naively assumed it is celebrated around the world, but as far as I can tell from the website it is mainly a UK and Ireland thing. Unless somebody knows of WBD celebrations elsewhere?

Activities are designed to encourage young children to read, so they get tokens for books, they can come to school dressed up as their favourite character from a book, etc. Not much use for us, as our little one, from whom I borrowed the books and cuddly bookmarks above, reads a book per day anyway. Oh, sorry I forgot to introduce you, the grey mouse is called "Mr Fish", and the other one is named after a parrot whose name I forgot, but in German we address him as "Herr Papagei". Obviously.

1 comment:

LiteraryMinded said...

As far as I know, we don't celebrate it in Australia!