Tuesday, April 27, 2010

nanochemistry reviewed

I am somewhat allergic to pointless neologisms hitching "nano" to things that happen at the nanoscale by default, such as chemistry, or catalysis. Undeterred by my criticism, chemist Geoffrey Ozin keeps publishing books about "nanochemistry", and I have reviewed his latest effort:

Concepts of Nanochemistry
Ludovico Cademartiri and Geoffrey Ozin
Wiley-VCH 2009; ISBN 978-3-527-32597-9

in this week's issue of Chemistry & Industry, issue 8, page 29. The title apart, I did find it quite readable and even engaging. A snippet:

The style is also very accessible and almost colloquial. Youthful enthusiasm for the subject matter expresses itself in so many exclamation marks that I got the impression someone must have edited out the OMGs and LOLs. But if it helps to keep the students awake, that’s all good.

No comments: